This chicken stays crispy for hours! I couldn’t believe it myself until i tried it out. It was developed by one of my favorite bloggers RecipeTinEats and she found a holy grail batter combination that just works. I tweaked the recipe to make it into a spicy hot honey version but kept the batter components the same and omg, when I tell you that my husband ate it all, he legit inhaled it. So it’s definitely going in the holy grail section of my blog. I am dying to try it out with cauliflower by I always end up getting soggy cauliflower after it’s coated in the sauce. Definitely give this a shot and check out her recipe linked down below. It gives amazing directions and tips and tricks to achieving the perfect crispy coating.
- Oil for frying
Chicken Marinade Ingredients:
- 2 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp buldak hot chicken flavor sauce (optional if you want it spicy)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8-9 tbsp COLD club soda
Spicy hot honey sauce Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- In a small bowl add chicken, all the marinade ingredients (soy sauce, cornstarch, baking soda, and buldak hot sauce) and mix well. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- In another bowl make the batter buy adding cornstarch, flour, baking powder, salt and mix well. Cover with a Saran Wrap and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Dredge chicken in the cornstarch and set aside.
- Take the cold batter bowl from the fridge, and add 8-9 tbsp of COLD club soda. Mix until just combined. Don’t overmix, you want the carbonation.
- Place the chicken into the wet batter and deep fry at a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 minutes.
- Place chicken on a wire rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, lets make our spicy hot honey sauce.
- In a sauce pan add honey, soy sauce, corn syrup, crushed red pepper and mix well. Simmer for 3 minutes and remove off of heat. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat the oil to 390 degrees Fahrenheit and deep fry chicken again for 90 seconds.
- Add the chicken into the sauce and mix well quickly. Garnish with green onions and sesame seed and enjoy hot! (We enjoyed eating it in a lettuce cup with some noodles and fried rice on the side)
Recipe adapted from: https://www.recipetineats.com/honey-chicken-stay-crispy/