This is absolutely delicious! Like seriously holy grail, both me and Moudi had two servings each and I may or may not have snuck in a few more bites when I was supposed to be packing it away for the fridge. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Now I usually don’t like leftovers because I love cooking new things everyday but this was one instance where I regretted cutting the recipe in half and considered making more the next day. It was THAT good! This is definitely going to be a staple in our household from now on. I adapted this recipe from SimplyRecipes.com and while in their version they used rice I prefer using noodles. I feel like it makes for more of a hearty and fun dish.
- 1/2 chicken (chicken cut into 8 pieces)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of diced onions
- ½ cup of diced celery
- ½ cup of diced carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- ½ salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ crushed red pepper
- 2 Maggi chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tart apple, cored, peeled, and chopped (I used granny smith apple)
- 6-8 oz cooked spaghetti
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Parboil chicken by adding chicken into boiling salted water for 5 minutes. There will be a foamy gray substance on top with all the impurities and you’ll discard that and rinse and drain chicken.
- Boil spaghetti and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium high heat in a large pot.
- Add 1 cup of onions, ½ cup celery, ½ cup carrots.
- Add 2 tsp of curry powder, ½ tsp ground cumin, ½ tsp ground coriander, ½ crushed red pepper, ½ tsp salt, 2 maggi chicken bouillon cubes and 1 bay leaf and mix to coat.
- Cook for 5 minutes, add parboiled chicken, lower heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Add 4 cups of water, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook until chicken is cooked through. (About 5 minutes)
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and shred.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Bring the soup back to a boil, and add 1 diced granny smith apple, shredded chicken and cooked spaghetti.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium
- Turn off heat and stir in ¼ cup of heavy cream. Enjoy hot!
Recipe adapted from https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_mulligatawny_soup/