This is one of my favorite ways to cool potatoes. This sauce potato recipe is super delicious especially eaten with a hot warm flaky paratha. It’s a staple breakfast item eaten alongside some eggs and parathas and sometimes even achar (picked carrots or mangoes are my favorites) It’s super fast and easy to make and it delicious even on top of rice or you can make it fun and add it to a burrito for a great vegan option.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup pureed whole peeled tomatoes
- I use a 14.5 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes and blend until smooth
- Foodjabi x Lazeez Asian Cuisine aloo spice blend #1
- 3 1/2 cups of potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- Foodjabi x Lazeez Asian Cuisine aloo spice blend #2
- Optional: 1 tsp imlee (tamarind chutney)
- In a large pot add oil, onions and fry until golden brown and caramelized
- Puree whole peeled tomatoes and set aside 1 cup. (The rest can be frozen and used at another time)
- Add the tomatoes to the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add this mixture to a blender and puree until super smooth and add it back to the pot.
- Pour in the Foodjabi x Lazeez Asian Cuisine aloo spice blend, potatoes and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and mix well. Lower the heat to medium low, cover and let it cook for ~20 min or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the Foodjabi x Lazeez Asian Cuisine aloo spice blend pack #2, and mix well. It’ll start to thicken.
- It you want more of a tang, sort of khattey aloo vibes then you can add 1 tsp imlee. (Optional)