Now I’m one of those people who loves pineapples…like so much so that I absolutely LOVE it on pizza and burgers and boy does this not disappoint! It has these caramelized pineapple rings as well as caramelized red onions on top of a juicy burger….if you’re a fan of pineapples as much as I am definitely give these Hawaiian burgers a shot! I adapted this recipe from the blog Skinny Taste and the homemade teriyaki sauce is everything!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp crisco
- 1 tbsp whisked egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 grated carrots
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 tsp pureed ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can of pineapple slices in juice
- Burger buns
- Havarti cheese
- Red onions
Teriyaki sauce Ingredients:
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- Cornstarch slurry: 3/4 tsp cornstarch and 1/8 cup water
- In a bowl add ground beef, crisco, egg, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, carrots, green onions, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and mix well.
- From into 4 burger patties and set aside.
- To make teriyaki sauce add soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, ginger, garlic to a sauce pan and cook on medium heat for about 12 minutes or until the sauce has reduced down.
- Next add the cornstarch slurry mixture to thicken and make into a glaze. (Should be thick in 1 minute)
- In a skillet toast up some burger buns by adding butter to a medium low heated skillet.
- Add a few tbsp oil to the skillet and cook for a few minutes on each side. Glaze with the teriyaki sauce and then top with havarti cheese. (Cover to melt the cheese)
- Once the burgers are fried up, add the sliced pineapple to the skillet and caramelize until golden brown. (Brush with teriyaki sauce on each side)
- Once pineapples are done, add some red onions and caramelize until golden brown and softened.
- To assemble, open up toasted buns, add mayo on the bottom bun and teriyaki sauce on the top bun, top the bottom bun with lettuce, then the burger patty, pineapple ring, caramelized onions, and then close with the top bun and enjoy hot!
Recipe adapted from: https://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-hawaiian-teriyaki-burger/