This is one of my absolute favorite vegetarian dishes. It’s so full of flavor and packed with yummy goodness. I’ve always loved it so much and now it’s officially up on the blog so you guys can try it out as well! There’s tender potatoes and succulent eggplant in this tomato oniony curry sauce. It’s perfect to eat hot on a cold winter day.
- 1 russet potato peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small/medium eggplant
- Foodjabi spice blend #1
- 14.5 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of oil
- Foodjabi spice blend #2
- 2 cups sliced onions
- Peel and chop 1 russet potato into 1 inch cubes.
- In a pot add the potatoes, cover with water, Foodjabi spice blend #1, and boil until fork tender. Remove from the water and set aside.
- Chop off the ends of the eggplant, and cut into thirds lengthwise. Then cut each piece into thirds lengthwise as well, and then cut vertically into thirds. Should roughly equal 5 cups of chopped eggplant.
- Purée one 14.5 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add 1/4 cup of oil, place the heat on medium high and fry the eggplants for a few minutes.
- Add 2 cups of pureed tomatoes into the pot and mix well.
- Add Foodjabi spice blend #2, mix well, lower heat, cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes. (Check on it every few minutes and mix so nothing sticks to the bottom.)
- Once eggplant is tender add 2 cups of sliced onions, mix gently.
- Cover with a lid and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes. (Check on it every 2 minutes to stir)
- Add in the drained potatoes and mix gently.
- Serve hot over white rice or eat it with naan!