The one thing I hate about cooking is deep frying anything. I mean don’t get me wrong, I LOVE deep fried foods…but the process of heating the oil to the right temperature, and trying to get the fried oil smell out of the kitchen afterwards is a pain in the butt. So when I got the instapot duo crisp with an air fryer lid component I was hooked. The first thing I wanted to try is deep frying plantains, and boy of boy I’m always going to use this method when cooking plantains. They were perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. I adapted a plantain recipe by Yewande Komolafe and absolutely loved it. Definitely check out more of her posts and recipes for delicious African foods.
- 4 medium ripe deep yellow plantains
- 1 – 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 of a red onion sliced
- zest of one lime
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Cut off the tips of each plantain and using a knife create a shallow slit along the length of the peel. Then remove the peel, slice each plantain lengthwise and then cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Place plantains into a bowl, add 1-2 tbsp of oil and mix well. Make sure all the plantains are covered with oil.
- Place the air fryer basket into the instapot, and then add all the plantains.
- Pop on the air fryer lid. It should make a cute jingle noise.
- Press the air fry button, at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 min.
- After 10 min, open lid and stir the plantains.
- Pop on the lid again, for 10 more minutes.
- While waiting, in a small bowl add sliced red onions, zest of a lime, juice of half a lime, salt, crushed red pepper, mix and let it pickle for about 10 minutes.
- Once the second timer for the air fryer goes off, pop open the lid, mix well, place into a medium bowl.
- When piping hot, add the pickled onion mixture into the plantains and mix well.
- Eat hot and enjoy!