These will always have a fond memory in my heart. They’re so full of flavor and are wrapped in this delicious flaky puff pastry, it’s a holy grail recipe in my book! It’’s chicken, corn, cheese in this creamy sauce and perfectly pairs well with Brie. Which is what i did in the second picture. I decided to use the leftover mixture and top it with some mini peppercorn Brie and let me tell you…it was divine! I adapted this recipe from Taste and Tell blog and it was fantastic. I’ve made this so many times and it does not disappoint. You can even make these ahead of time and freeze uncooked. Then, when ready to eat just pop in on a baking tray, brush with an egg wash and bake as normal. (It might need a few extra minutes, but perfectly flaky and crisp as if you made it the day of!)
Chicken corn turnover Ingredients:
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- dash of paprika
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Milk/flour slurry ( 1/2 cup whole milk + 6 tbsp flour)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 tsp everything but the leftovers seasoning blend from Trader Joe’s (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 box of frozen puff pastry thawed out
Chicken corn and Brie Ingredients:
- 1 mini peppercorn Brie (You can use original or your favorite kind)
- Egg wash (one egg whisked well with 1 tsp water)
- Thaw out the frozen puff pastry by removing it from the freezer and setting it on the counter
- Then we shall make our chicken broth by adding 1 chicken bouillon cube, onion powder, black pepper, oregano, paprika, into 3/4 cup of water in a pot over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup milk and 6 tbsp flour until it forms a slurry.
- Once the chicken bouillon cube has melted into the water, add 1/4 cup whole milk and bring to a boil.
- When the mixture is boiling add the flour/milk slurry and whisk that in until smooth. This will take really quick to thicken. (About 1 min)
- Remove from heat and set this creamy mixture aside. (You can taste test at this point for seasonings). I added 1/4 tsp salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, add 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken, all of the thickened creamy mixture, 1 cup frozen corn, 1/4 tsp everything but the leftovers seasoning blend and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Unroll one section of the puff pastry and cut into 9 equal squares.
- Place one square into a diamond, add some filling and close to make a triangle. Seal edges with a fork.
- To make the peppercorn Brie pocket, unfold the second puff pastry sheet and cut into a large square. (About 2/3 of the sheet)
- Unwrap Brie from paper, and shave off the top portion of the rind.
- Add the leftover chicken and corn mixture right on top.
- Fold the edges of the puff pastry over the filling and seal well.
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush the chicken corn turnovers and Brie pocket with an egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the puff pastry is cooked all the way through.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/creamy-chicken-corn-turnover-recipe/