Having a friend with a green thumb is so much fun. Mostly because you get free herbs and veggies and it allows you to think of new recipes to make. My friend Stephanie has a garden and she grew some Thai basil . To be honest, I’ve never heard of Thai basil before so that led down to a journey of fun and interesting recipes. And the result was fantastic. This spicy Thai basil chicken noodles was super delicious and is a must try, and if you can’t find any Thai basil, this recipe is so good that you can even leave it out and it’ll still be delicious.
- 1 large chicken breast sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp dark sweet soy sauce
- 8 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 2 tsp peppercorn chili oil
- 1 tsp hot chicken flavor bulwark sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp puréed garlic
- 1/2 tbsp puréed ginger
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 5 dried red chilies
- 2 cup sliced onions
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers
- 1/3 cup yellow bell peppers
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 2 Serrano peppers sliced lengthwise
- 6-8 oz spaghetti cooked
- 1 cup torn Thai basil leaves
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds for garnish
- Green onions for garnish
- Boil pasta according to package instructions,
- In a bowl add cornstarch, soy sauce, and sesame oil and mix well. Add chicken slices and cover with the marinade. Set aside.
- In another bowl make the sauce by adding all the ingredients and mixing well.
- In a large wok, on medium high heat, add 2-3 tbsp oil and add chicken. Brown on both sides. It should cook fairly quickly. Don’t shake the chicken or else the cornstarch marinade will break apart.
- Remove chicken once cooked onto a plate.
- Add 1/2 tbsp minced garlic to the same pot, add 5 dried red chilies, all the vegetables (you can use whatever veggies you have on hand).
- Cook veggies on medium high heat for about 3-4 minute. Add the chicken back in, and then add all the sauce mixture.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and mix well.
- Add 1 cup Thai basil, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and mix until well combined.
- Cover with a lid for about 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and enjoy!