These orange berry cinnamon rolls are the epitome of summer flavors! They’re super light and fluffy and have this air of decadence. I love the mixture of the berry compote and cream cheese frosting. It’s a total must try! I adapted this recipe from Chrissy Teigans cinnamon roll recipe and added my own fun twist of summer flavors. She uses this interesting technique of adding heavy cream over the cinnamon rolls before baking and I swear it adds a level of moistness to the rolls that otherwise I don’t think would be possible. If you guys try it lemme know and tag me! I love to see all your recreations!
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 packet instant dry yeast
- 2 tsp blueberry salt (can substitute with regular salt)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp butter
- Zest of half an orange
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries thawed
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/8 tsp blueberry salt (you can substitute with regular salt)
- 1/2 tsp orange blossom water (can substitute with vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp cold water
Cinnamon Sugar Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp softened butteR
Cream cheese frosting Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp softened butter
- 2 oz softened cream cheese
- pinch of orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of blueberry salt (you can substitute regular salt)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- In a bowl add flour, sugar, yeast, salt, poppy seeds and mix well.
- In a pot add milk, water, butter and the zest of half an orange. Allow the butter to melt and have the temperature of the mixture come up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the wet ingredients as well as 1 egg to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
- Knead dough for about 4 minutes, place into an oiled bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it sit for about 10-20 min minimum or up to an hour.
- In a pot add berries, orange juice, orange zest, salt, orange blossom water, sugar and place it on the stove on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer until the mixture had thickened and reduced considerably.
- Add the cornstarch and water to make a slurry, add to the compote and mix well until thickened and jam like consistency.
- Remove from the heat and let it come to room temperature.
- In a bowl cream the butter, cinnamon and sugar mixture for about 2-3 minutes until soft and light.
- Roll out dough to 9 x 18 inch rectangle.
- Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture all over the dough evenly.
- Add the berry compote mixture (should be about 1 cup) on top of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Roll up dough starting from the shorter end into a tight log.
- Tip: Use floss to cut the cinnamon rolls to prevent breakage and oozing of the filling.
- Add the cinnamon rolls to your baking dish, cover and let it rise for an hour.
- To make our cream cheese glaze, in a bowl add butter, cream cheese, orange zest, vanilla extract, salt and cream together.
- Add in powdered sugar, heavy cream and mix together until a frosting forms.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Pour 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream over the cinnamon rolls.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for 20-30 min or until browned and cooked all the way through.
- Spread the cinnamon rolls with the cream cheese frosting over the top when warm so it can melt and form a glaze of sorts.
- Optional: Top with some fresh orange zest and enjoy warm!
Recipe adapted from: https://youtu.be/MAgr6-4XS3U