Whenever we go down to Miami to visit family we always stop by this halal Chinese restaurant called Dragon Delight and always get chicken dumplings with our order. It’s our road trip tradition and one that I look forward to so much. Now because of quarantine we haven’t gone to visit family in a long time and i began craving these dumplings so much. Maybe they were reminding me of home, but I decided to attempt to make them and boy am I glad I did. I adapted this recipe from Seonkyoung Longest and if you haven’t checked her out definitely do! She’s adorable to watch. The best part about this recipe is that you end up making around 50 of them and it’s perfect for the freezer! So whenever you want homemade dumplings all the hard work is done, and you just have to do steam them for a few minutes in the microwave or cook them on the skillet and you’ll have yummy dumplings that would take less time than ordering takeout!
- 1 package of gyoza/dumpling wrappers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5 tbsp chicken stock
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp puréed ginger
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 bunch of diced green onions
- 1 bunch of chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2/3 cups of cold water
- 1 tsp flour
Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp ginger puree
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/4 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/8 cup of water
- Make sure your gyoza wrappers are defrosted and pliable before starting. (I usually leave it out the night before)
- In a medium bowl, combine all the filling ingredients and mix well.
- Bring one dumpling wrapper on your palm and wet the edge with water slightly.
- Place 1/2 Tbsp of the filling in middle, fold as a half moon shape.
- Seal by folding one side of the wrapper 1/4-inch in and then press edges together and repeat until the dumpling is completely sealed. (Into 4-6 pleats…see video for visual instruction)
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat until you are done with the wrappers and the filling.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil (or enough to cover the pan) and place dumplings in a frying pan.
- Turn the heat to medium high heat; mix 2/3 cup of cold water and 1 tsp flour in a medium size bowl to make slurry and pour to the skillet.
- Cover and let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until the dumplings are fully cooked and all the water is evaporated.
- If you would like it steamed, then either use a steam basket or you can place the dumplings on a plate. Add a few tbsp of water, cover with Saran Wrap and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the microwave and be careful as you remove the Saran Wrap.
- In a small bowl mix all the sauce ingredients. (If more water is needed then you can add more)
- Enjoy dumplings with the dipping sauce and enjoy hot!
Recipe adapted from: https://seonkyounglongest.com/crazy-rich-asians-dumpling/#tasty-recipes-26991