Note to self: Oh boy, do I love kunafe. It’s one of my favorite middle eastern desserts and this recipe is by far the easiest, foolproof, and yummiest I’ve tried. I was inspired by Cook with Dena for this amazing kunafe recipe and adapted it slightly. While she makes hers either in a large pan, or cupcake versions, I decided to go even further and make mini bite sized poppable kunafe. And they turned out AMAZING! Like seriously, the ultimate appetizer or dessert. I hope you guys try it out and definitely check out Cook with Dena on Instagram for more middle eastern recipes.
- 1/2 of the package of shredded pastry phyllo dough
- 1/2 tbsp orange food coloring powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 can of table cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 oz sliced mozzarella cut in bite sized pieces
- 24-mini cupcake pan
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Set aside 3/4 cup of the shredded phyllo dough for the top
- Sliced or ground pistachios for garnish
Simple Syrup Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Using scissors shred half the package of phyllo dough into a large bowl.
- Add food coloring, ghee and melted butter into the bowl and using gloves mix well. (The food coloring will stain your hands! So either use a spoon or gloves on your hands to mix)
- Save 3/4 cup of this mixture and set aside. We will use this later.
- In another bowl add 1 can of table cream, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, and the 4 oz of whole milk diced mozzarella. Mix well.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tbsp melted butter and 2 tbsp of ghee and mix well. Use this mixture to brush the mini cupcake pan. This will prevent it from sticking.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
- Add about 2/3 of a tbsp of the shredded phyllo dough mixture in each mini cupcake tin and press down until firm.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of the cheese mixture in each of the little tins.
- With the remaining 3/4 cup of the shredded phyllo dough that we set aside earlier, top each of the mini kunafe. this will prevent the cheese from burning or turning brown.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes
- In a small pot add 1/3 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil until sugar dissolves, and then add 1 tsp of lemon juice. Mix well and thicken slightly until syrupy consistency.
- Once the kunafe come out of the oven, use a butter knife to loosen the edges and flip onto a tray.
- Drizzle the simple syrup mixture over each of the kunafe, and garnish with slices or ground pistachios. Enjoy warm!