Note to self: These muffins are so pretty to look at but they taste even better! Now Moudi isn’t really a dessert kind of person so when he even said they were delicious it really means they came out good! He ended up eating almost half of them lol which is a win in my book. We decided to eat them warm with some whip cream and they were bootiful. I adapted these muffins from a recipe on afamilyfeast.com which adapted the recipe from the Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins. Definitely check it out and give these a try!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp blueberry salt (you can use regular salt)
- 4 tbsp crisco (vegetable shortening)
- 4 tbsp room temperature salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ buttermilk
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries whole
- 1 cup frozen mixed berried smashed
- 1/2 of the dry ingredient flour mixture saved and set aside
- Sugar in the raw
- Powdered sugar as garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix well. Save 1/2 cup of the dry mixture for later and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and shortening for one minute. Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat into mixture for 2-3 minutes. This is important so there’s air whipped into the batter.
- Add vanilla extract and buttermilk and mix well.
- Start adding the flour mixture and the milk a little at a time and hand mix. Do not over mix, incorporate just until everything’s together
- Add 1/2 cup of dry ingredients into the 2 cups of mixed berries and tops to coat. This will allow the berries to be suspended all throughout the muffin instead of sinking to the bottom.
- Smash the other 1 cup of the berries. Add this to the 2 cups of berries and mix well.
- Fold in the mixed berries into the batter until just incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Into a 12 cup muffin tin line 10 of the rims with cupcake liners.
- Divide the batter into the muffin liners.
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar in the raw.
- Bake for 5 min and then reduce the heat to 375 degrees. Bake for 20 more min.
- Remove to a rack to cool. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: https://www.afamilyfeast.com/mixed-berry-muffins/