Note to self: These were seriously one of the best mashed potatoes I’ve ever tasted. I don’t know what it is about them, whether it’s the fact that they’re boiled in milk and cream or whether its the surprise pops of whole grain mustard when you take a bite. Either way, this recipe is a must try! I adapted this recipe from Food Network and they’re Tyler Florence’s recipe for mashed potatoes. The only thing I would change about them is to peel the potatoes instead of leaving them unpeeled like I did in the video. The original recipe says to leave them unpeeled but I feel like the skin takes away from the creamy deliciousness of the potatoes.
I made these for my sister to take to work when I was home for Thanksgiving. Their office place was having a potluck Thanksgiving and she was in charge of mashed potatoes. She came home raving about them! That everyone ate it and there were no leftovers. You can always cut the recipe in half if you’re not making it for a big crowd. There will be some leftover milk/cream in the end which can be repurposed other ways. I would recommend maybe some creamy mac and cheese or a chowder. Definitely give this recipe a shot! You’ll have a real crowd pleaser on hand!
- 8 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes, quartered peeled
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaf
- 2 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add 16 yukon gold potatoes (quartered and peeled), 4 cups heavy cream, 4 cups milk, 8 garlic cloved minced, 8 sprigs of fresh thyme and 3 bay leaves into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a gentle boil over medium/medium high. You don’t want the temperature to be too high because the milk will bubble over. (~15-20 min)
- Strain potatoes and reserve the cream mixture but discard the bay leaf, and thyme sprigs.
- Mash the potatoes and fold in the cream mixture until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Fold in 2 tablespoons of whole grain mustard, 4 tbsp butter, 2 tsp olive oil.
- Season generously with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Original recipe adapted from: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/grainy-mustard-mashed-potatoes-recipe-1943350?soc=sharepin