Note to self: The first time I heard of let alone had a Thai iced tea was with Moudi and ever since that first sip it automatically became one of my favorite drinks ever. Once we moved to GA our go to spot for Thai iced tea was Pho Bac, a Vietnamese joint that’s known for their pho, and once they introduced boba to the mix I was immediately hooked. I decided to find a way to recreate it at home for convenience and to save some money.
I did some research and ordered the Thai Tea Mix from Amazon and it was super yummy! It tasted exactly the same as in the restaurants and turned a bright orange color that’s usually associated with Thai iced tea!
I also ordered the boba (tapioca pearls) from Amazon as well. Side note: The poll I did on my Instagram (@Foodjabi) Most of ya’ll call it bubble tea instead of boba…it was so surprising to me. Though I’m so upset I lost to Moudi…you guys let me down snapchat fam 😦 …He’ll never let me live it down)
But anyways, this is super easy to make and totally worth it! You can adjust the sweetness to your preference and change the amount of condensed milk and sugar you add. Oh! And just a little tip, make sure you be careful when straining the tea…if any drips onto the counter wipe it away immediately! Moudi and I had to find out ways to scrub the stain out and boy was it a mission. And when straining if you happen to have a cheesecloth that would work so much better than a little strainer. It’s not completely necessary but to ensure all the loose tea is strained it’s easier to use a cheesecloth. 🙂
- ½ cup boba
- 1 tsp honey
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Thai iced tea mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp condensed milk
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- In a small pot add water and bring to a boil.
- Add ½ cup of boba and give it a stir.
- Once they float to the top lower heat to simmer, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove boba and place in a small bowl. All 1 tsp of honey and mix.
- In a large pot bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of Thai iced tea mix, and 1 cup of sugar.
- Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let it steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the tea.
- In a glass add some ice, boba, and fill the glass two thirds with the iced tea.
- Add 2-3 tbsps condensed milk (or how much ever sweetness you want) and ½ cup of evaporated milk.