Note to self: I’ve been wanting to make waffles forever…just to change up the usual pancakes and eggs I make for Moudi during breakfast. But I didn’t have a waffle maker. (The horror right?) I love waffles but all the ones I saw at the store were really big and chunky and took up a lot of space….I have limited cabinet space as it is, and I have a problem with OCD-ness and keeping things minimalistic. So finding one was damn near impossible. Until Amazon that is…I came across this mini waffle maker that’s SO cute and perfect to make waffles in! AND it comes in different colors! I got the one in aqua because my kitchen theme is aqua, gray and black/white.
As for the size, they come out the size of Eggo waffles and they can be made in advance and frozen. Then just as regular Eggo waffles you can pop them into the toaster and they crisp up wonderfully. I can’t wait to make things like chicken and waffles, hash brown waffles, cornbread waffles…really just anything in the waffle maker…even grilled cheese! There’s so many options!
So I adapted this recipe from BunsInMyOven.com and overall it was ok, I feel like the whipped egg white, while it made it light and airy, made it taste a little eggy. And as some of you know, I personally don’t like eggs very much. I know, i know, but eggs just make me feel nauseous. I think I’m gonna try other waffle recipes until I find one that’s holy grail status.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup milk
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl mix ¾ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ cup cornstarch, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg, ½ tsp baking powder, and ¼ tsp baking soda.
- In another bowl add ¾ cup buttermilk, ¼ cup milk, 6 tbsp vegetable oil and stir in the egg yolk. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white almost to soft peaks.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and continue to beat until the peaks are firm and glossy. Beat in the vanilla.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until just mixed.
- Drop the whipped egg white onto the batter in dollops and fold in with a spatula until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook until the waffle is crisp and brown.
Original recipe adapted from: https://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2012/05/30/the-very-best-waffles/