Note to self: Oh man…how I love shawarma…There’s the burst of lemony goodness and so many flavors from the spices and oh the toppings…mmm toppings. It’s like a pita pocket of heavenly goodness. This is super quick and easy and works great as a meal prep! Just coat them in the marinade and pop them into the freezer and whenever you need protein or a quick meal all you have to do is pull it out and pop it into the oven. I usually like to cut them into bite sized pieces before marinating so I don’t have to cut it afterwards. (Lazy to the extreme) That and I feel like the delicious marinade gets to more surface area and coats every single bite. Oh! and don’t forget the onions, once they’re coated in the marinade they get cooked down to these caramelized golden brown yumminess that pairs perfectly inside the pita pockets.
I adapted this recipe from JoCooks.com….and she’s one of my favorite food bloggers. Her recipes are always on point and super yummy. Totally check out her website, you’ll find everything and anything on there!
- 3 chicken breasts boneless and skinless (I prefer cutting them into bite sized pieces but you can leave them whole)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (or regular paprika works fine)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp ground coriander (optional)
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Juice from 2 lemons
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- Pita pockets
Optional toppings: Hummus, olives, jalapeño, lettuce, banana peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, tzatziki sauce or whatever you heart desires. 🙂
- In a large bowl add 2 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp turmeric, 2 tsp ground cumin, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, ⅛ tsp ground coriander (optional), ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (optional), 4 cloves garlic minced, juice from 2 lemons, ½ cup olive oil and whisk well.
- Add the chicken and toss making sure the chicken is well coated in the marinade. (if you leave them whole then I suggest poking it with a fork a couple times on both sides so the marinade can seep through and flavor the inside) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. The longer the meat marinates the more flavor you’ll have.
Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Add sliced onion to bowl with chicken and toss well so that the onion is fully coated in the marinade. Add everything to a 9×13 baking dish. Spread everything evenly over the baking dish.
Bake in the oven until the chicken is browned and crisp on the edges, for about 40 to 45 minutes. If you want the chicken crispier on top, turn the broiler on to high and broil for 3 minutes until nice and crispy on the outside.
Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, then slice it into bits if using the chicken whole.
- Place inside a warmed pita pocket and add desired toppings or eat as is.
Original recipe adapted from: http://www.jocooks.com/healthy-eating/oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma/