Note to self: In preparing for hurricane Irma we ended up getting a bunch of die hard essentials. You know…like water, candles, non perishable foods, and well cookies…so many cookies. ::face palm:: We live in GA and while I knew it wasn’t going to be anything major, most likely just a tropical storm, it was an excuse to stock up on junk food and hurricane snacks. I’m originally from Miami, FL so I would say I’ve seen my fair share of hurricanes. I was worried about my family though…those were a hard few days. Especially when they lost cell phone service and we didn’t hear from them. I kept imagining the worst and low key super worried but tried to remain calm.
Anyways, after it passed I realized we had a boatload of snacks and junk food that I didn’t know what to do with. (Well apart from eating them…and that wasn’t an option since I try to portion control what I eat) So I decided the best way to keep the cookies out of site was to make mini ice cream sandwiches out of them. That way I’ll only eat it if it’s a post meal dessert. AND I got rid of 2 snacks in one go. I crushed up some M&M’s and mixed it with the ice cream and then used the ground up bits for the side coating. I was planning on coating the sides with some mini chocolate chips but decided to just stick with M&M’s. The best part is that the cookies stay nice and soft even in the freezer and it’s like a mini heavenly treat after a meal. It’s super easy to make and makes portion controlling so much easier. Especially since they’re mini!
- 16 mini soft baked cookies
- 1 cup of your favorite ice cream
- ½ cup of chopped M&M’s (any flavor works)
- Take a food processor and pulse ½ cup of M&M’s until roughly chopped
- Mix 1 cup of your favorite ice cream with ¼ cup of the more roughly chopped pieces of M&M’s.
- Place 1-2 tbsp of the ice cream mixture on 8 of the cookies and squish with another cookie.
- Roll the edges of ice cream sandwich in the M&M dust. (the more finer pieces)
- Place on a baking tray or saran wrap each one and place in the freezer until the ice cream solidifies.