Note to self: This dish was inspired by our honeymoon trip to the Maldives…We had this open buffet every morning and there were breakfast stations from all around the world! If you were Indian and felt like eating hot parathas and choley they were there, if you were English and wanted to eat toast and those baked beans thingy’s with some sausage and eggs, you got it! Oh my…and the pasteries and sweets! A paradise for a sweet tooth like me…There was fresh fruit and juices, and hot pancakes and freshly made omelettes with whatever toppings you wanted. Any type of food imaginable…even sushi! The whole setup was the coolest thing ever and the best part was that it was all halal! A dream come true for all Muslim foodies out there!
I was feeling nostalgic and had leftover french dip brisket/broth so I decided to pay homage to our honeymoon and create a twist to his beloved breakfast noodle bowl. You can use any veggies you want…I had carrots and celery on hand but cabbage, leeks, and mushrooms would work beautifully too. Skip to 1 minute on the video for the soup part….Everything before that is how to make the french onion brisket and broth. For exact ingredients and step by step instructions just click below.
Oh! And I bought these from Amazon…trust me…it’s so worth it when eating most Asian dishes especially pho and noodle soups. It comes in a pack for 2 people and includes 4 chopsticks, 2 pho spoons, and 2 little bowls for sauces. It’s really good quality and is only $12! Totally recommend it! (Obviously it’s not necessary in order to try out this recipe but it does make eating more fun!)
And just for fun….Here are a couple more pictures of the wedding and honeymoon 🙂
- French dip brisket and broth
- Handful of rice noodles
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1 celery julienned
- 1-2 scallions
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1-2 tsp low sodium soy sauce (You can adjust for taste)
- ⅓ cup of shredded brisket
- Enough broth to cover the toppings and noodles
- In a large pot add water and bring to a boil
- Add the rice noodles (How many ever portions you want to make)
- Cook for 4-6 minutes and drain.
- In the mean time whisk 2 eggs, ¼ tsp salt, and ⅛ tsp pepper. ( You can also make it a veggie omelette and add whatever you have in your fridge).
- On medium heat, place 1 tbsp of butter and cook eggs. Fold into thirds and set aside.
- In a large bowl add rice noodles to the bottom, place julienned carrots and celery on the sides. Add ⅓ cup of shredded brisket and onions mixture and omelette.
- In a medium sauce pan on high heat bring broth to a boil. Ladle broth into bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp Hoisin, 1 tbsp Chili garlic sauce, 1-2 tsp low sodium soy sauce (You can adjust for taste) and sprinkle with sliced scallions.
- Eat with chopsticks and pho spoons.