Note to self: So Moudi and I have been on a youtube binge of watching people make food and we came across this couple, JP and Julia, who are super funny and make these giant shaped foods. It’s where I got the inspiration from when someone requested me to make homemade chicken nuggets. (Shoutout to Urooj for the suggestion!) I adapted this recipe from their site HellthyJunkFood…lol clever right? and whipped up a batch. So I didn’t do it like them and make one giant chicken nugget, instead I made them into nugget sized bits and deep fried until they were golden brown. I’ve never had a chicken McNugget before so I can’t say if this is a true copycat version but Moudi did say this was holy grail status. I personally thought it was good but like ok-ish you know? Like I feel as if the batter poofed up too much and it tasted a little too chickeny…Like it tasted a lot like chicken? I know that makes no sense whatsoever and obviously it tastes like chicken ::eye roll:: it’s a freaking chicken nugget. But I don’t know how to explain it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You can also make a huge batch of these and stick it in the freezer. Then whenever you’re craving nuggets you can deep fry them as needed. I’m not sure how they’ll taste baked…I feel as if it might not work since it ended in the wet batter. But anyways, I’ll label it as a holy grail in honor of Moudi but I’ll be trying out other recipes and giving it a shot to see if there are better versions out there. Anyways! Enjoy!
- 1 Lb Ground Chicken
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
McDonalds Dry Batter
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Cornstarch
- 1-1/2 Tbsp Seasoned Salt
- 1-1/2 Tsp Dry Milk Powder
- 1 Tsp Granulated Sugar
- ½ Tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ Tsp Ground Mustard
- ¼ Tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ Tsp White Pepper
- ⅛ Tsp Ground Allspice
- ⅛ Tsp Ground Turmeric
- ⅛ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
McDonalds Wet Batter
- 1 Egg Beaten
- ¼ Cup Cold Water
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- ⅛ Tsp Sea Salt
- ⅛ Tsp Soy Sauce
- ⅛ Tsp Granulated Sugar
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take 1 lb of ground chicken and form them into chicken nugget shapes and place on lined tray.
- Freeze until solid.
- In a large bowl add 1 Cup All Purpose Flour, ½ Cup Cornstarch, 1-1/2 Tbsp Seasoned Salt, 1-1/2 Tsp Dry Milk Powder, 1 Tsp Granulated Sugar, ½ Tsp Ground Ginger, ¼ Tsp Ground Mustard, ¼ Tsp Black Pepper, ¼ Tsp White Pepper, ⅛ Tsp Ground Allspice, ⅛ Tsp Ground Turmeric, ⅛ Tsp Ground Cinnamon, and ⅛ Tsp Cayenne. Pepper
- In a medium bowl add 1 Egg Beaten, ¼ Cup Cold Water, 1 Tbsp Cornstarch, 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour, ⅛ Tsp Sea Salt, ⅛ Tsp Soy Sauce, and ⅛ Tsp Granulated Sugar.
- Once your chicken nuggets are frozen, coat them in the dry batter.
- Then coat them in the wet batter.
- Do a double coat. (dip them in the dry batter and then again in the wet…you want to end the chicken nugget in the wet batter)
- Place them on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze until solid.
- Deep fry for 10 minutes @ 350°F
- If it’s not completely cooked on the inside, you can either fry longer if the color isn’t too dark or you can finish it off in the oven until fully cooked on the inside
Original recipe adapted from: http://www.hellthyjunkfood.com/giant-chicken-nugget/