Note to self: This recipe was inspired by pure laziness tbh. It was Thursday…and the reason I remember that is because we were fasting and we couldn’t wait to eat. Moudi used to be a regular faster…fasterer? I have no idea if that’s even a real word…but he used to consistently fast Monday/Thursday to fulfill the sunnah of the Prophet (SAW) and after I tried to join in on it. But lately we haven’t been keeping up with it and we decided to start up again to get back on track…that and I totally gained like 3 lbs after the LA trip and decided to buckle down. We also had nothing in the fridge and totally needed to do a grocery run so I looked at some of my freezer prepped meals and pulled out the meatballs. Since the hard part was already done, all I had to do was bake the meatballs in the oven and boil the spaghetti. I used a jar of marinara sauce to make it even easier and voila! Easy and simple homemade meal without the fuss.
Using soy chorizo made the meatballs very tender and it fell apart more easily than a regular meatball would. If you like a firmer meatball you can substitute the soy chorizo for ground beef and it should hold up pretty well. Moudi said this was a definite holy frail recipe and I totally agree! There’s so much flavor in the meatballs from sautéed veggies and spices it totally works with any kind of marinara sauce. Give it a shot and lemme know how it goes! I would recommend to make a stockpile of these meatballs so you can pull them out anytime it’s one of those lazy days and it’ll seem like you’ve spent hours in the kitchen cooking.
- ½ cup of grated carrots
- ½ cup minced celery
- ½ small onion (minced)
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp oregano (you can substitute with marjoram)
- ½ tsp caraway seeds (you can substitute with cumin seeds)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 package of soy chorizo (12 oz) (You can double the ground beef instead)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb spaghetti or 1 box
- You favorite jar of marinara sauce
- In a medium sauce pan over medium/medium high heat add 1 tbsp of oil and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Sauté for about 30 seconds then add ½ cup of grated carrots, ½ cup minced celery, and ½ of a small onion (minced).
- Sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Add ½ tsp oregano, ½ tsp caraway seeds, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- In a medium bowl, add ½ lb ground beef, 1 package of soy chorizo, 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro, 1 tbsp tomato paste, sautéed veggies. Mix well.
- At this point you want to check the seasoning so take a small portion of the meat and fry in a pan. Adjust seasonings to your taste if needed.
- Once you’re satisfied with the meat, make into meatballs and depending on how much you need you can freeze the extra meatballs into ziplock baggies. (That way you can pull them out whenever you need and just bake)
- Bake in the oven at 350 for about 25-30 minutes.
- While that’s baking, cook your spaghetti according to the package instructions.
- Drain and place into a pot with your jarred marinara sauce and warm through.
- Add your meatballs to the pot, coat with sauce and enjoy.