Note to self: I had some leftover pizza dough from the other day and decided to make Stromboli. A Stromboli is sort of like a mix between a calzone and a turnover and while it’s typically filled with Italian deli meat and cheese, my mom used to make this for us with ground beef. Every time I hear the word Stromboli it just reminds me of childhood. The outer edge is crispy but chewy at the same time and the inside is oozing with cheese and succulent ground beef. This is a definite holy grail and must try! The best part is that you can fill it with anything. Whatever your heart desires. You can even make it into a breakfast Stromboli and fill it with eggs, beef strips and veggies.
I adapted this recipe from a sloppy joe recipe on butteryourbiscuit.com. Slightly adjusted it because I didn’t have any tomato sauce on hand so I used marinara sauce and it turned out really yummy.
- Pizza dough (My homemade version -> Pizza Dough)
- ½ lb pound ground beef
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp ginger puree
- ½ cup diced onions
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp seasoned salt
- ⅓ cup chopped spinach
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- In a medium pot add 1 tbsp oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add ½ tbsp minced garlic, ½ tsp ginger puree and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Add ½ cup diced onions, ¼ cup diced red bell pepper and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Next add ½ lb pound ground beef and cook, breaking apart and stirring as the meat cooks (Until no longer pink)
- In the mean time in a medium bowl, stir together, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon mustard, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, ½ cup marinara sauce, ¼ cup ketchup, ¼ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp seasoned salt and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the sauce mixture and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add ⅓ cup chopped spinach and cook until wilted. Once wilted take beef mixture into a bowl and let it cool to room temperature. (If the filling is too hot it’ll rip apart the pizza dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Flour surface and roll out pizza dough into a large rectangle.Add filling to one end, add cheese, and start rolling into a log.
- Place on an foiled baking sheet and brush with oil and then an egg wash.
- Bake for 40 minutes – 1 hour depending on how thick your Stromboli is.
Original recipe adapted from: