Note to self: First of all can we just take a moment to appreciate how cute these little flour tortilla taco boats are? It’s one of the random things I picked up from the grocery store and I couldn’t wait to use them!
I decided to make chicken fajitas and stuff them inside these mini taco boats…I had plans to top it with sour cream and some guac but it couldn’t wait. I would’ve had to make another run to the store and these little guys smelled so yummy I ended up serving as is with a squirt of lime juice over the top and they were delicious! Definite holy grail and must try!
I adapted this recipe from lifemadesimplebakes.com, and changed it a bit so it’s a little easier and you don’t need to do the extra step of cooking the vegetables separate. It turned out great with the adjustments made! AND…you can totally freeze the marinated chicken and use it as a meal prep. Just take it out the night before to defrost and cook as normal.
- Mini flour tortilla boats
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 red bell peppers, seeds removed, ¼-inch thick slices (Or you can use a variety colored bell peppers for a prettier look)
- ½ small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb chicken breasts, ¼-inch thick slices
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ⅛ tsp. chili flakes
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lime
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tbsp oil along with the sliced chicken, thinly sliced onion, thinly sliced bell peppers, 2 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. kosher sea salt, ½ tsp. ground black pepper, ½ tsp. paprika, ½ tsp. coriander, ⅛ tsp. chili flakes, ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper.
- Mix well, cover with saran wrap and place in fridge to marinate for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the bowl of chicken and veggies from fridge and place on a pre oiled baking sheet, place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are roasted and the fajitas are golden brown.
- Remove, place in taco boats, squeeze the lime juice over top and serve with desired toppings.
Serving size ~ 3-4 people
Original recipe adapted from: http://lifemadesimplebakes.com/2016/06/sheet-pan-chicken-fajitas/