Note to self: This is one of the easiest and fastest Pakistani dishes to make and is jam packed with flavor and spices. It’s traditionally made in a karahi (Pakistani wok) but can totally be made in a regular sauce pan as I did in the recipe below. The fresh ginger slices on top is a total must (ok well …it’s optional but without it, it’s just not the same, it brings out a deeper flavor and adds a fresh aspect to it that can’t be replicated. I feel like it really makes the dish) and if you want more of a kick a few slices of serrano peppers on top will totally amp up the flavor.
This is actually one of the dishes that’s very similar to a Hausa dish that my husband loves. The first time he came over to visit my parents and tried it he was so shocked at how similar the flavors and spices were to his beloved Nigerian pepper chicken. (Which I will post up the recipe to it soon inshaAllah) So for those of you who don’t know there’s a big Indian/bollywood influence in Nigeria and the flavors and spices they use in their cooking as well as the preparation method are very similar. Obviously they have their own twist to it and a bunch of new and amazing flavors that I’ve never heard or tasted but it’s more similar than different. This brought about a comfort and familiarity to my parents because food is such a big part of the Pakistani culture.
Anyways, this is one of the recipes in collaboration with Lazeez Asian Cuisine and is a definite must try!
- ½ of a whole chicken (8 pieces) => (1 whole chicken is 16 pieces)
- 2½ cups of pureed tomatoes (28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes = 3½ cups)
- 2 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp oil divided
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 packet of Lazeez Asian Cuisine Karahi Chicken spice mix
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp chopped Cilantro
Optional garnishes/toppings: Cilantro, serrano peppers, ginger
- In a pot add chicken, 2 Tbsp salt and cover with 6 cups of water over med-high heat until you see the fat accumulate at the top. Then turn off heat, skim fat and remove chicken.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to blend whole peeled tomatoes until it resembles a puree.
- Add 2½ cups of pureed tomatoes to a large sauce pan.
- Add 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp of butter, 1 packet of Lazeez Asian Cuisine Karahi Chicken spice mix, 2 cups of water, and the 8 pieces of chicken.
- Stir and cook on med-high heat until thickened and reduced (about 30-35 minutes)
- Lower heat to simmer and add 2 tbsp of cilantro, 2 tbsp of oil, and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro, fresh sliced ginger, and thinly sliced serrano peppers
Serves 2-4 people