Note to self: I absolutely love okra, it’s one of my favorite vegetables right after beets. There’s just something about cooking okra that reminds me of childhood. I remember my mom using leftover okra and making grilled stuffed sandwiches with them. Now this recipe is one of my mom’s and I’ve been sworn into secrecy about the spices used. (My family owns a Pakistani restaurant, Lazeez Asian Cuisine, and disclosing the spices aren’t an option as of yet). But I’ve found a way around it with the permission of my momma so you guys can enjoy the authentic taste of Pakistani cuisine! I’m in the process of trying to brand and sell individual spice mixes for these Pakistani dishes (in collaboration with Lazeez Asian Cuisine) and later on to other recipes as well. Currently we’re in the experimental phase and if you follow me on snapchat you already know the rules and entries to be entered into the trial phase of the spice mix. I’ll be choosing 3 people (a beginner, intermediate, and someone who’s an expert or very comfortable with cooking). You will receive a spice blend in the mail along with a recipe link and an email with a post survey to fill out.
Here are the official rules for entry to be chosen as a experimental food tester! The first recipe will be a choice of either butter chicken, Chicken qorma, or Bhindi (okra), or loki (squash)
- Must be following Foodjabi on Instagram
- Tag 3 of your friends on the IG post and write if you’re a beginner, intermediate or expert/comfortable with cooking.
For extra entries
- Follow and subscribe to http://www.foodjabi.com
- Subscribe on foodjabi YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ_ZYYzDxdc0wV6dkpwQRQ
Giveaway ends on 08/18/2017
- 2 cups of fresh okra chopped
- 1 tsp of lemon pepper
- 1 packet of Lazeez Asian Cuisine bhindi (okra) spice mix (#1 & #2)
- 1/2 of an onion sliced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/8 cup of oil + half of a 1/8 cup of oil
- 1 tsp of minced serrano peppers (optional)
- Take a medium sauce pan and add 1/8 cup of oil + half of an 1/8 cup of oil and place on medium high heat.
- Add 2 cups of freshly washed okra roughly chopped and place into a sauce pan with Lazeez Asian Cuisine bhindi (okra) spice mix (#1) – (It has the 1 tsp of lemon pepper inside)
- Fry on high heat for 5 minutes (don’t stir up too much or else it’ll become slimy) and then take out of the pan and place into a bowl.
- In the same sauce pan, add 1 tsp of oil, 1/2 of a sliced onion and cook on medium/ medium high heat until it’s brown and caramelized. (About 10-15 minutes)
- Add Lazeez Asian Cuisine bhindi (okra) spice mix (#2) to onions and mix well.
- Add 1 diced tomato to onion mixture and mix well. If you want it to be more spicy then add 1-2 tsp of minced serrano peppers. (The peppers are optional)
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat, and then add okra to mixture.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for about 45 min-1 hour or until the okra is tender.
- Seve hot with naan, chapati or rice.