Note to Self: Mexican food is totally bae. Smothered burritos, enchiladas, elotes….ugh, so good. I’ve had an up and down relationship with it though because of an unfortunate incident at Taco Bell. I got massive food poisoning and ended up in the hospital with an IV drip. It was awful and one of the most grossest experiences ever. Now I know, I know…Taco Bell isn’t Mexican Food…but it caused a chain reaction and for more than a year I couldn’t go near anything remotely Mexican. Slowly though I’ve come around to it again and I forgot how much I loved it. I do prefer to cook it at home though.
This recipe is originally adapted from damn delicious with a few minor tweaks. It’s a fun way to amp up a regular ol’ hot dog with just plain ketchup and mustard. I’m kinda curious if it might make things even more flavorful if you simmer the hot dogs in some enchilada sauce or add some cojita cheese or use queso in some way…maybe with some tortilla chips crushed on top? So many ideas…Can’t wait to try them out one day!
- 1 1/3 cups of corn
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp diced cubanelle peppers
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 6 Hebrew National Hot Dogs
- 6 hot dog buns
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or less to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt and chipotle peppers; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups of corn, 1/4 cup of onion, 2 tbsp minced cilantro, 2 tbsp lime juice and 2 pinches of salt. Stir in avocado right before serving so it doesn’t get brown; set aside.
- Bring a sauce pan filled with water to a boil. Add hot dogs, cover with lid, turn off stove and take off heat. Let it sit for 7-8 minutes. (You can also grill on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown)
- To assemble the hot dogs, add hot dogs into each hot dog bun, top with corn salsa and drizzle chipotle cream on each hot dog.
- Serve immediately.
Original recipe adapted from: http://damndelicious.net/2013/05/26/mexican-hot-dogs-with-chipotle-cream/